FF91C70D-29C5-45C6-92C5-5B6BD5E1DBB4 Relatively Offbeat: Homemade Chicken Pot Pies

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Homemade Chicken Pot Pies

I am a total sucker for comfort foods. I love nothing more than a rich, delicious dinner that has me feeling like I could pass out moments after filling my belly. One of my all-time favorite comfort food dishes (aside from mashed potatoes) is homemade chicken pot pie. Ever since our visit to The Old Mill restaurant in Pigeon Forge during our honeymoon, where I ate the largest and most delicious southern pot pie I've ever tasted, I've been working to perfect a recipe of my very own. I've made this one a few times now, and my husband and I love it.


Ingredients:
  • 1 bag frozen carrots
  • 1 bag frozen peas
  • 5-7 red skin potatoes, chopped
  • 1 48 oz. box chicken broth 
  • 2/3 C. flour
  • 1/2 C. 2% milk
  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. celery seed, pinch celery seed, divided
  • dash salt, to taste
  • dash pepper, to taste
  • 2 refrigerated pie crusts
  • ramekins or small pie plates
 Directions:
1. Set oven to 350 degrees. Cut the chicken breasts into cubes and sauté in a frying pan with olive oil and a pinch of celery seed. 
2. Pour chicken broth into a large pot over high heat, bring to boil. Once boiling, set to medium heat. Add cooked chicken, frozen peas, frozen carrots, and potatoes. Boil and cover for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set to low heat.
3. Add 1 tbsp. celery seed and 2/3 C. flour. Stir well to thicken until no clumps of flour remain. Add milk and stir.
4. Prepare ramekins or pie plates by lining them with pre-made pie crusts. 2 pre-made crusts should make 2-4 pies, depending on size.
5. Use ladle to pour pie filling into the pie crusts. Once pies are filled, use remaining pie crust to cover the filling.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350 degrees, or until crusts turn golden brown. Let cool before eating, insides get very hot!
Serves: 2-4
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes


This quickly became one of my favorite recipes. I typically prefer baking over cooking, so making pies for dinner is enjoyable. I hope you all love this delicious dinner recipe as much as I do!
Enjoy!

xoxo,
Laura


2 comments: