FF91C70D-29C5-45C6-92C5-5B6BD5E1DBB4 Relatively Offbeat: Travel Tuesday: Mexico

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Travel Tuesday: Mexico

So sorry Laura and I have been so MIA lately! It's like the artic tundra here in Michigan and I developed a pinched nerve/muscle spasms in my back so I've been pretty useless these past few days (shout out to Alex for letting me wake him up in the middle of the night sobbing in pain...love you!).
Anyways, about a week ago, I had an absolutely amazing opportunity to go on sort of a mission trip with my mom and my mother-in-law. I originally didn't think I would be able to get the time off to go, but my amazing employers and myself worked it out so I could go for a few days!
 
Ever since Alex was just a little guy, his parents would lead groups to Mexico to build houses for the poor. My first mission trip was to Tijuana...so this place holds quite a special place in both of our hearts. I literally found out I could go four days before we left and my mom decided only three days before we left she could go!
 We arrived to San Diego on Thursday, assembled the team and drove across the Tecate border. There was no one at the border so we just drove on through to Mexico. The difficult part would come soon enough on our way back to the States. If you can't tell by these photos...eating good Mexican food was of the utmost importance.
So the cake below was a tres leches cake and my mother-in-law helped fund her cake business through her nonprofit Sowhope.
That night we stayed at Tim's house whom is a missionary in Tecate. His dogs were pretty adorable! And the two dogs in front are the parents to the one in back, so precious.
The next day was full of visits to families, food and amazing friends.

I even ate my carne asada with onions! I don't even know who I am anymore :)
The last day started off just right with Eva cooking us a delicious breakfast! Thanks David and Eva for letting us stay with you!!

And we were off to visit more families!
Mary was named Godmother of Alexander! Pretty great name he has too! 
On to our last stop of the night before crossing the border later. Such an amazing view and we had a perfect ending to our Mexico trip with this amazing family.


 It was such a great experience and it was SO great having my mom come with us this time. So thankful I had to chance to go back and see everyone again. Thank you to all the families and everyone we had the pleasure of spending time with.

And because it's one of my favorite quotes:
"Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go."
-Mother Teresa

xoxo, Katelyn

1 comment: